To provide piano/instrumental accompaniment for worship services.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- The pianist/musician shall provide the Church with music as needed for regular and special worship services.
- Will provide musical accompaniment for evening rehearsals and other special rehearsals mutually agreed upon by the praise team and the pianist/musician.
- Will be responsible for development and musical accompaniment of church choir and/or youth praise team/choir.
- Will provide musical accompaniment as needed for special solo or ensemble music arranged for worship services at which the pianist/musician is scheduled to play. Each of these accompaniments will usually require a rehearsal prior to the service at a time mutually agreeable to the pianist/musician and scheduled performer.
- Frequent consultation with the Corps Officer(s) and the Praise team as related to the planning of musical selections.
- Submission of titles of selections for service to the Corps Officer(s) in a timely fashion.
- Clearance with the Corps Officer(s) for use of the Sanctuary for all rehearsals.
- The pianist/musician shall have the first opportunity to play for all weddings, funerals, memorial services, etc. when music is needed.
- Other Duties as assigned.
In contacts related to this position’s duties this individual acts as a representative of The Salvation Army and its mission.
Under general supervision of the Corps Officer with some freedom to plan, schedule and carry out responsibilities within established policies and guidelines.
This individual will be evaluated on how effectively the outcomes of this position are achieved, as well as the timeliness, accuracy and completeness of accomplishing assigned goals.
- Proficiency in playing piano and/or various instruments.
- Proficiency in sight reading.
- Experience with diverse styles of music.
- Proficiency in choral/instrumental accompaniment.
- Ability to perform with a variety of ensembles.
- Must be knowledgeable about Salvation Army music and programs.
- A personal knowledge of music, including performance, education and theory.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong leadership and organizational skills.
- Must be a team player, self-starter, and follow through with assignments until completion.
- A positive attitude and the ability to be flexible in light of changing job situations/priorities.
- A strong commitment to support and promote the mission of The Salvation Army.
This individual will only commit Army resources that have been allocated or approved.
This individual will keep the Corps Officer informed on all critical issues relating to their area of responsibility.
This individual will adhere to all policies and procedures in carrying out the responsibilities of this position.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
This position is required to do light physical work. In order to successfully perform the essential functions of this position, the employee is regularly required to use instruments and equipment needed in a music program. The work environment for this position includes a program environment with a moderate to high noise level.
Submit resume to: LeOtis_Brooks@usc.salvationarmy.org