Teacher / Child Care / Chicago
POSITION TITLE: Teacher
LOCATION/DEPT.: Child Care
REPORTS TO: Site Director
Responsible for the education and general development of the children in the Head Start classroom.
Responsible for contributing to the development of the overall agency and center educational plans and for the classroom implementation of the center plan that is geared to meet the needs of each individual child enrolled in the program in accordance with the Head Start day care program.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Demonstrates safety practices.
- Minimizes potential hazards.
- Provides adequate supervision.
- Provides safety instruction.
- Maintains a healthy classroom environment.
- Plans and implements activities that promote personal health.
- Plans and implements activities that promote sound nutrition.
- Learning Environment
- Maintains learning environment.
- Plans and implements activities that promote an interest in the learning environment offering a choice of learning center activities for at least sixty minutes each day.
- Plans and implements activities that promote the physical development of each child.
- Maintains an environment conducive to development of physical skills.
- Plans and implements activities that promote questioning, probing exploration and problem solving.
- Helps children develop conceptual framework for interpreting experiences, including:
- Spatial relations
- Promotes children’s listening skills.
- Promotes clear articulation and language production.
- Promotes adult-child communication.
- Promotes child-child communication.
- Supplies equipment and materials that encourage creativity.
- Encourages innovative uses of materials and divergent thinking.
- SelfPlans and implements activities which maximize opportunities for success.
- Assesses each child’s current skill level.
- Writes observation notes weekly on C.A.R
- Summarizes child’s skills two times per year on C.O.R.
- Assesses each child’s current skill level.
- Provides positive feedback to children when appropriate.
- Plans and implements activities that develop awareness of feelings and emotions.
- Capitalizes on spontaneous occurrences of empathy, display of feelings and emotions throughout the day.
- Serves as role model.
- Maintains an environment conducive to preventive discipline.
- Maintains consistent discipline in the classroom.
- Sets and enforces appropriate limits.
- Maintains a positive approach to classroom control, and recognizes self-control as a learning process.
- Organizes smooth and appropriate transitions.
- Focuses on activity at hand rather than children’s behavior.
- Ignores inappropriate behavior when possible.
- “Lets go” of negative instances: does not harbor grudges.
- Encourages children to make appropriate choices in controlling their own behavior.
- Avoids excessive lining up.
- FamiliesServes as liaison between other components and parents.
- Involves parents in the classroom program.
- Involves parents in extending the classroom program into the home.
- Shares information on child’s progress with parents.
- Helps parents plan in-home activities to supplement the classroom program.
- Makes home visits in September/October and April/May.
- Program ManagementMakes use of program resource personnel in planning for children and their families.
- Employs a wide variety of resources in implementing curriculum.
- Plans classroom programs in an organized timely fashion.
- Completes weekly/daily lesson plans on time.
- Submits records, requisitions, reports and plans when due.
- Maintains accurate daily attendance and food count.
- Ensures team cooperation.
- Supervises assistant teacher and classroom aides.
- Maintains a professional attitude.
- Keeps abreast of early childhood education practices.
- Other Duties
- All other duties as assigned.
This individual relates to, interacts with, a wide range of contacts both within and outside The Salvation Army. In these contacts, they act as a representative of the Army and its mission.
Under the direct supervision of the Site Director with some freedom to plan, schedule and carry out responsibilities within established polices and guidelines.
SUPERVISION OF OTHERS
Supervises assistant teachers, classroom aides and school children.
This individual will be evaluated on how effectively the outcomes of this position are achieved, as well as the timeliness, accuracy and completeness of accomplishing assigned goals.
- B.A. in early childhood education with 12 weeks student teaching in a pre-school setting or;
- C.D.A. or A.A. with three years teaching in a pre-school setting and at least two years education in early childhood education.
- One year experience teaching in a pre-school setting.
- Some knowledge of social service programs helpful.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to use initiative and be a self-starter.
- A positive attitude and the ability to be flexible in light of changing job situations/priorities.
- An attention to detail.
- A commitment to support and uphold the mission of The Salvation Army.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
This position is required to do light physical work. In order to successfully perform the essential functions of this position, the employee is regularly required to remain stationary for some periods of time; communicate; use hands and fingers; move; occasionally required to position self to stoop, kneel or crouch; frequently required to reach with and use arms and hands, as required in using standard office equipment and a PC. Must be able to lift up to 25 lbs. on a daily basis. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and ability to focus. The work environment for this position includes an office or classroom environment with a low to moderate noise level.
Position Ranking: RFT Non-Exempt
THE SALVATION ARMY MISSION STATEMENT
The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.
Qualified candidates please submit a resume to: Dorothy_Coleman@usc.salvationarmy.org