Chaplain / Harbor Light / Chicago
To provide leadership using policies, procedures and available systems to support the Harbor Light Center in meeting the mission of The Salvation Army.
The backgrounds of the clients served by The Harbor Light Program will manifest a variety of inappropriate behaviors. When this occurs, employees are to respond within the context of the treatment environment of the site. Employee conduct (actions, dress, etc.) and interactions (conversations, written communications, etc.) with clients must also be within the treatment environment of the facility.
This position is responsible for all chaplaincy programs of the Harbor Light Center, assuring each client in the program has access to spiritual care.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Pastoral counseling is provided to the clients in the program and their families.
- Bible Studies are offered at various times throughout the week, including a Wednesday evening study.
- Participation is provided in Sunday worship services including preaching as needed.
- A quality Sunday children’s program is organized and implemented including a 9:30 a.m. program and Sunday’s S’cool at 11:00 a.m.
- Spiritual Assessment is conducted with the clients in the programs.
- Discipleship groups is developed and implemented.
- Advocacy is provided for the clients with Review Board.
- A cooperative effort is made with Ministry Team.
- There will be successful bridging of clients who are leaving the facility, reconnecting them with their home church or with a Corps in their community.
- Help is given to the clients in the program for reuniting with their respective families.
- A team effort is given forth on fundraising events and campaigns.
- Management of the Angel Tree program is provided with successful outcomes.
- Outreach activities are conducted to the families of the clients in the programs.
- All other duties as assigned.
This position reports to the Corps officer.
This position supervises the volunteers and soldiers assisting in ministry opportunities.
This individual relates to, and interacts with, a wide range of contacts both within and outside of The Salvation Army. In these contacts, they act as a representative of the Army and its mission.
This individual will be evaluated on how effectively the outcomes of this position are achieved, as well as the timeliness accuracy and completeness of accomplishing assigned goals.
Experience working with addictions or family ministries.
Experienced in teaching Bible studies and Christian-based life skills.
Experienced in working with children and diverse populations.
A strong commitment to the mission of The Salvation Army and an appreciation of faith-based service organizations.
Will demonstrate a passion for God, a love for God and a desire to serve.
Will have a past record of service in pastoral support.
An interpersonal style that is service-oriented as well as anticipates and responds to the needs of clients.
A flexible style that also displays a willingness to learn.
Able to work as a team member as well as independently.
An excellent attention to detail, procedures, processes and policies.
A communication and management style that exhibits the principles and values of the Army as well as fosters team relationships and effectively communicates information.
A demonstrated ability to manage projects, priorities and programs in a constantly changing environment.
Have an understanding of chaplaincy support principals.
Have an understanding of Christian doctrine and application.
Have an understanding of addiction issues.
Have an understanding of family ministry and interaction, teaching principles and of Biblical studies.
A hands-on knowledge of how to effectively work with diversity in the workplace.
This individual will only commit Army resources that have been allocated or approved.
This individual will keep the Corps Officer informed on all critical issues relating to their area of responsibility.
This individual will adhere to all Army policies and procedures in carrying out the responsibilities of this position.
This position has an essential role in fulfilling the full mission of the Salvation Army. Because of the integral nature of this responsibility, active membership in a Salvation Army Corps is required.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
This position is required to do light physical work. Must be able to walk up two flights of stairs.
In order to successfully perform the essential functions of this position, the employee is regularly required to use standard office equipment and PC.
The work environment for this position includes an office environment with a low noise level.
Must be able to work with clients that have poor social skills, suffer from mental illness, and have substance abuse problems.
THE SALVATION ARMY MISSION STATEMENT
The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.
Qualified candidates please submit a resume to: Don_Gulbrandsen@usc.salvationarmy.org