Starting a new school year can be stressful for children of all ages, but especially for the very young. There are things parents can do, however, to help ease a child’s transition from a carefree summer to a structured school-day, including:
- Implementing a school-year sleeping schedule before the school starts, so that the child gets used to going to bed earlier than during the summer and getting up at a designated time
- Building excitement about the new school year by talking with the child about the new things he/she will learn in school and about the new children she/he will meet.
- Talking with the child about any concerns he/she might have about going to school.
- Visiting the school to introduce the child to his/her new classroom and teacher.
- Reassuring the child that if he/she needs you while in school, you will be there.